Those wishing to present at ECOC 2019 are required to submit a technical paper for consideration by the Technical Programme Committee.
*The technical programme committee reserve the right to change the authors' choice of topic area
What's the difference between an Invited and Contributed submission?
Invited talks are longer in length and will have already been pre-selected by the Technical Programme Committee (TPC). You should only select "Invited" if you have been sent an email from the TPC chairs, requesting you submit a paper for an invited talk. All other papers will come under "contributed submission". The same deadlines apply for both invited and contributed submissions.
What is an e-poster?
An e-poster, or, an electronic poster will replace the traditional, printed posters & boards format at ECOC 2019. The posters will now be interactive, and a digital screen will be provided for authors to display their work. Further guidance and templates will be made available to authors at a later date. Please note that traditional poster boards will not be provided; the use of e-poster screens is mandatory for accepted poster authors.
What is the Demo Session?
The demo session will provide the opportunity to see live demonstrations and prototypes of research projects, corresponding to relevant topics of the Conference.
The Demo area will be open to Conference Delegates, providing unique opportunities for potential technological transfer and dissemination of research results.
Authors wishing to participate in the demo session are invited to submit technical proposals in the standard conference proceedings style, via the online submission system, selecting the dedicated "Demo Session" sub-category. A complete submission should not exceed three pages with one additional page reserved for your demo session proposal.
For more information on Demo Session Proposals – please see the guidance notes.
Best Student Paper Award
A Best Student Paper Award will be granted to a student author, for writing a remarkable paper and making an outstanding presentation at ECOC2019. The winner and two runners-up will receive a cash prize.
- The principal author must be a student at the time of submission of his/her paper.
- The student should apply by ticking the appropriate box, on the paper submission system
- The student must register for the conference before the author registration deadline. No financial help will be provided by the conference organisers.
- The student author must be the presenter of his/her work at the conference.
- Eight finalists will be preselected by the eight ECOC Sub Committees in their respective areas, in June 2019.
- The finalists will be immediately notified that they have been short-listed and will be asked to deliver a second presentation for the judges at the conference, in addition to their scheduled presentation in the conference programme.
- The judges will consist of one or both Technical Programme Committee Chairs and the chairs of the eight Sub Committees or their delegates.
- The judges will announce their decisions during the closing ceremony of ECOC 2019 on Thursday 26 September 2019.
The Best Student Paper Award is sponsored by
- Invited & Contributed Submissions for SC1 – SC8 = 15 April 2019 (23:59 UTC)
- Demo Session deadline = 7 May 2019 (23:59 UTC)
Writing your paper
- Use of the ECOC full paper template is mandatory. Papers should be no more than three pages in length, with one additional page reserved for full length references.
- Papers are to be prepared in MS Word and converted to PDF, with the correct properties embedded (please see paper template for full instructions) before submitting.
- It is the author's responsibility to submit a correct paper; any errors in spelling, grammar, or, scientific fact, will be reproduced as typed by the author, if accepted.
- Acknowledgement of the submission and all following correspondence, including notification of acceptance, will be sent to the e-mail address of the submitting author. If you do not receive an acknowledgement e-mail within 24 hours of completing your submission, please contact email@example.com.
Using the online submission system
- Once you have prepared your full paper file, enter the online submission system
- If you are logging in for the first time you'll need to create a new account
- Follow the on-screen instructions and complete all fields when prompted
- Once your submission is complete, you will receive a confirmation email
- You may login to the system at any time before the submission deadline and make edits to your submission and / or add new submissions
Successful authors and accepted papers: general rules
- Each accepted paper must be associated to at least one author registered to the conference. Each registered author can be associated to no more than two accepted papers.
- Only the papers that are correctly associated to a registered author will be included in the final programme/ conference proceedings.
- The author must be present at the conference to present the submission or the paper will not be published.
- All accepted papers will be published as part of the Conference Proceedings, complete with ISBN reference number, available to all conference delegates and will be submitted for publication on the IET Digital Library, and subsequent indexing in Inspec, IEEE Xplore and EI Compendex.
- A special issue of Journal of Lightwave Technology will be given over to ECOC. Some authors may also be offered the opportunity to submit a full paper for this special issue.
- The IET cannot meet any travelling or subsistence expenses for authors, either prior to or during the conference
Information provided during paper submission will be processed by the IET for its sole use and that of its associated organisations, for the purpose of organising your attendance at this event.
Submit your Paper >
For further information on how the IET uses your data please see www.theiet.org.